Monthly Archives: October 2015
This year, Lorax is taking a delegation of 9 representatives to GreenBuild International Conference and Expo Monumental Green located in Washington, DC. Lorax Project Managers will be in attendance from Tuesday evening November 17th through Friday November 20th to learn about new sustainable strategies, become familiar with green building technologies, learn from our peers, promote the achievements of our clients, and network with friends both new and old.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Where you can find us:
- Opening Plenary
- Annual GreenBuild Raters Party
- Various Educational Sessions
- On the Expo Hall Floor
To join us at GreenBuild, go to http://greenbuildexpo.com/ in order to register for the conference and expo.
Connect with us on social media to find us at the conference!
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LoraxPartnershipsLLC
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Green_Lorax
Learn about us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/lorax-partnerships-llc
Join our Circle: https://plus.google.com/+LoraxPartnershipsLLCBaltimore/about
Check out our Website: http://www.loraxllc.com/
Sustainable Development Land
Since the Baltimore City Green Construction Code (BCGCC) was implemented in April 2015, navigating the new code has been a bit like playing a board game. We call the board game Sustainable Development Land; the goal is to reach Compliance Castle! Click on the picture to see Sustainable Development Land.
At first, Sustainable Development Land might seem a bit tricky to traverse. We have figured out the best path to Compliance Castle through Exemption Acres, S’mores Swamp, and even FroYo Forest, and we are here to guide you through the process. Play Sustainable Development Land to see if you comply!
If you are building or renovating in Baltimore City, you must play Sustainable Development Land. The rules are set, and we are here to teach you how to play. In the future, there might be new rules or bridges added to the board game, helping you to reach the ultimate goal of compliance.
Before you can play Sustainable Development Land, you must set up the game board first. Game setup includes indicating to city officials that the project intends to comply with BCGCC and which path you plan to take through Sustainable Development Land. This requires the player to complete the Green Building Statement of Compliance Sheet provided by the City prior to permit application submittal.
How to Play
To read the full instruction for how to play Sustainable Development Land, see the Baltimore City Council Legislation website.
This board game has two paths to reach the ultimate goal: the New Construction path or the Renovation of Existing Building path.
In some cases, a player can skip from start, all the way to Exemption Acres. First the player must ask themselves the following questions:
- Is my project a 1- or 2-family dwelling?
- Is my project a multi-family dwelling that is no more than 3 stories above grade and contains no more than 5 dwelling units?
- Is my project a temporary structure?
- Is my project equipment of systems that are used primarily for industrial or manufacturing purposes?
If the answer is yes to any of the above questions, go straight to Exemption Acres. No more action is needed!
All other Baltimore City Projects must follow one of the following compliance options before moving on through Sustainable Development… Continue reading
Along with being a founding partner and manager of Lorax Partnerships, Neal also entertains us weekly with what we call “Neal’s Ponderings”.
- Last night I was looking up at the stars and wondering where was my roof.
- Everywhere is within walking distance, if you have the time.
- I want to give special thanks to sidewalks, for keeping me off the streets.
- What’s green and fuzzy and would kill you if it falls out of a tree? A pool table.
- How does a train eat? It “Choo-Choos”
- There are a lot of sponges in the sea, but without them would it be deeper?
- If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
- If you make a cow laugh, will milk come out of its nose?
- I never have understood why at a wedding the bride never marries the best man.
- Try to imagine a world without hypotheticals.
- What happens if you get scared half to death twice…?
- Is it really necessary to make an appointment to see a psychic?
- Do you suppose cannibals might not eat clowns because they taste funny?
- If a synchronized swimmer on a really good team drowns, do they all perish?
- I’m having a difficult time coming up with a single detrimental effect of paper over rock.
- I couldn’t remember how to use a boomerang, but then it hit me.
- I focused while trying to figure out why the frisbee was getting larger and larger, then it hit me.
- I would have to guess that the most important invention after the telephone, would have been the second telephone.
- I’m considering taking a job hanging mirrors. Not sure why, I can just see my self doing that.
- If you are feeling cold, try standing in a corner. It’s usually 90° there.
- The farmer counted 297 cows in the pasture, but after he rounded them up he had 300.
- If your first inclination is to procrastinate, can you really be called a procrastinator?
- I’m good friends with most of the letters of the alphabet. I don’t know Y.
- How many snowballs does it take to defeat your opponent at SnowCraft? The answer is 3! See for yourself here.